As classy, glossy, and petite as they look, satin shoes are equally hard to clean and delicate to handle. A hard scrub here or a slight mistake there, and you can ruin the entire look of the shoe. Satin shoes add to the beauty of your apparel, and you want to make sure they last longer and look as good as new each time you wear them.
Therefore, we have listed some easy DIY techniques of cleaning your satin shoes to perfection and make them shine for every occasion. Read on to find out several cleaning methods along with tips for maintaining and protecting your satin shoes for years.
Satin Shoes: Do they get dirty often?
As we all know, Satin is a very delicate material and is prone to getting dirty easily. Women mainly wear satin on occasions like parties or weddings to match with their glossy attire. But often, marshy areas, rough surfaces, and grassy lands can cause stains on satin shoes as we unknowingly step on them.
Stepping on any uneven or dirty surface can eventually cause dust and stains to build up over the shoe, which can be pretty tedious to remove. If the satin material is old, the fabric tends to become more delicate, and the stains won’t clean up easily. If the stain is stubborn, it will spoil the shoes while you clean them and handle them roughly.
Hence, one needs to be very careful when treading out with satin shoes. Instead, you may want to learn how to clean satin shoes perfectly, which is why we have addressed this topic to help you.
How to Clean Satin Shoes?
Cleaning satin shoes can be quite a task, considering how sensitive the material is. You do not want to end up damaging your satin shoes in the process of cleaning. Therefore, we decided to give a detailed step-by-step guide on how to clean your satin shoes safely and perfectly. Read on to find out.
To clean your satin shoes, you will need the following items:
- Mild detergent or bleach
- A soft cloth or soft toothbrush
- A cup or bowl for mixing
Step 1: Remove any loose dirt from the shoes
Use a toothbrush or a soft cloth to remove any dry dirt or debris that is loosely stuck to your shoes. You don’t want the loose dirt to tamper around and stick to your shoes while cleaning any stains.
Use a soft-bristled brush so that there are no scratches or tears on your soft satin shoe. Clean the toothbrush or cloth before you follow the next step.
Step 2: Prepare a cleaning solution
Now, prepare a cleaning agent wherein you mix two parts of cold water with one part of mild detergent or soap. Ensure that the soap or detergent is not too harsh; it can damage the satin material or cause discoloration.
Keep the concentration of soap as low as possible if the shoes are incredibly delicate to avoid damaging the shoes. Hence, the best we recommend is a 1:2 solution of soap to water.
Warning: Do not use hot water in any case while preparing the cleaning solution. Hot water can cause discoloration or cause the satin shoes to shrink or wrinkle.
Step 3: Remove the dirt/stain using the cleaning solution
- Dip the brush that you had used for cleaning into the cleaning solution.
- Drain off the excess water from the brush as it may end up creating a water stain on the satin shoe.
- Now, rub very gently in concentric circles on the dirt or stain area of the shoe.
- Do not get very rough on the shoe as it causes the material to tear and create a more prominent stain instead.
- You may want to repeat the gentle rubbing a couple of times before the stain/dirt has entirely disappeared.
Step 4: Allow the shoes to dry overnight
Use a soft Turkish towel to pat dry your shoes. Leave the shoes overnight to dry well. The following day, you will find the satin shoes looking dust and stain-free. It may not shine as new, but the stain appears to have vanished.
3 Alternatives To Removing Stubborn Stains From Satin Shoes
There are several other methods through which you can remove stains from satin shoes. They are:
1. Using Baking Soda
Along with using detergent or soap solution, another milder alternative that you can try is baking soda with water. Here is what you will need to create a solution/paste:
- Three tablespoons of baking soda
- Two tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide
- Three tablespoons of water
- Soft cloth or brush
- Bowl or cup for mixing
Steps to Remove Stains From Satin Shoes by Using Baking Soda:
- Prepare a paste using the ingredients mentioned above in a bowl or a cup.
- Dip the cloth or brush into the paste and wipe it on your shoes
- You can move it in a circular direction around the stained area
- Make sure to be gentle while rubbing on the satin material
- Once done, allow it to dry once you notice the stain turning lighter
Warning: We suggest you try this method over a small section of your shoe before practicing it for real. Baking soda can spoil any sensitive material, and hence it is best to try it out before using it over the entire shoe.
2. Using Distilled White Vinegar
Distilled white vinegar is another technique that you can try. For this:
- Prepare a 1:1 vinegar in water solution.
- Dip a soft cloth into the solution and wring the fabric off to remove the excess water. Excess water will end up creating a stain on your shoe.
- Rub over the stain using the cloth until the stain gets lighter or starts to disappear.
- Repeat the process until all the stains have disappeared.
- Allow the shoes to dry at room temperature overnight and use them after drying.
3. Using Oxiclean Stain Remover
Oxiclean works wonders on fabrics to remove stains. Here is what you can do to remove stains from your satin shoes using Oxiclean:
- Take some Oxiclean powder in a small bowl
- Dampen a soft cloth or towel and dip it in the Oxiclean powder
- Gently rub over the stained area and allow it to stay on the shoe for some time until it dries.
- Wipe off with a clean cloth after it dries. You will not find any stains.
Warning: Oxiclean can be quite intense for certain types of shoes. Make sure to check the label of the shoes for cleaning instructions before you use Oxiclean powder on them. We suggest you test it over a small area of your shoe before using it over the entire satin shoe.
How to protect satin shoes from getting dirty?
There is always a time when your shoes would get dirty or stained, but cleaning off satin shoes can be challenging. Since they are so sensitive and delicate, almost the slightest stain or rub can spoil the whole look of the shoe and the soft satin material.
Therefore, it is better to stay safe than to be sorry and protect your shoes from stains and dirt. Here are a few tips that we suggest to protect your satin shoes from dirt and stains:
Waterproofing Spray or Hairspray
The weather can be very unpredictable at times. And especially if you are wearing satin sandals or shoes, you may want to make sure they are safe as satin is not naturally waterproof. Therefore, you can keep using waterproof sprays, especially if the weather is bound to get unpredictable and maybe not want to tread out with your satin shoes on a rainy day.
However, repeated use of waterproof sprays makes sure to keep your shoes looking good and shiny for a longer time as well as protect them from mild drizzles.
You can apply a few coats of the waterproof spray as they claim to keep your object stain proof and prevent the encounter of water over the shoe surface. But, make sure to test the spray properly over a small area of the shoe before you spray several coats over the entire shoe.
You can also use hairspray instead of a waterproofing spray as it creates a protective barrier on the shoe and does not allow water to percolate on the satin material. But again, with hairsprays containing a lot of chemicals, you may want to test it on a small surface of the shoe before using it over the entire shoe. If it works, spraying several coats works.
Storing Satin Shoes Properly
Nobody must have ever addressed this issue when it comes to protecting your favorite pair of satin shoes but storing them in an appropriate place is equally an essential part of shoe care.
Now, you want to make sure that they are isolated from the rest of the shoes and kept wrapped in a soft tissue or bag. If they rub against other shoes in your rack, it may develop scratches on its surface, spoiling the delicate material.
If your satin shoes have sequins or embellishments on top, make sure to cover the surface adequately. Avoid direct contact with light else, it may cause discoloration. Hence, it is best to keep them wrapped. This avoids contact and settling of dust particles as well.
Try and keep the shoes in a dry area. If kept in a humid place, Satin can develop molds and damp water patches, which can cause stains on your shoe. These stains are very difficult or almost impossible to remove and can cause permanent damage to your shoes.
Tips to Remember For Maintaining Satin Shoes
Here are some handy tips, or some do’s and dont’s to keep in mind when it comes to maintaining your satin shoes:
- Never use hot water for cleaning satin shoes. It can cause discoloration and shrink the fabric.
- Do not toss satin shoes in the washing machine. It is too delicate and cannot bear the harsh washing cycles of the washing machine.
- Do not use direct heat or a hairdryer to dry your satin shoes. It can shrink the fabric and spoil the texture of the shoes.
- Do not use a colored cloth to clean the surface of the shoes. The color of the fabric may transfer to the satin material and spoil it.
- Do not try massive experiments on your satin shoes. If you are unsure about a cleaning method, take your satin shoes to a professional. A professional laundry cleaner who deals with wedding clothes may be able to clean it for you.
- When using sprays as protectants, hold the can at a distance from the shoe to avoid blotches on the satin material.
- Do not use excessive spray, and make sure to shake the bottle thoroughly before spraying.
- Keep moving the bottle while spraying and carry out the process in a well-ventilated area. You do not want a spray patch on some regions of your soft satin shoe.
- Lastly, make sure to keep dusting it regularly to avoid settling dry dust that can cause stubborn stains if the shoes get wet or moist.
Women love wearing satin shoes to parties, weddings, and occasions. Satin sandals give a beautiful appearance when worn with a wedding gown or a beautiful attire. Sadly, satin shoes are subject to getting dirty very easily. A slight small stain can cause permanent damage and ruin your favorite go-to shoes for any occasion.
However, we got this covered!! We decided to dig in and do some research to make it easy for you to clean your satin shoes. We have suggested various DIY methods you can try conveniently, and the materials too are easily available. But, when all fails, and you are unsure of how to clean your satin shoes, then a professional is your best bet!!
Read our methods and tips above and tell us if they helped you make your satin shoes shine through the comments section below.
Brandon R. Katz is a registered professional nurse who has been instrumental in providing us with an informed opinion on the medical aspects of footwear. He graduated from NYU Rory Meyers College of Nursing with a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) and currently provides his services at a non-federal long-term care hospital in Brooklyn, NY.
Brandon proves to be the champion in the group of expert writers with his in-depth knowledge in foot health, how to take care of it adequately, and what shoes, socks, or insoles will be supreme for you. He has previously worked with hospitals where he has foreseen both inpatient and outpatient departments and has been a practicing nurse since 2009.
Brandon hails from Jersey City, NY, and has a loving family of four with a small popper called Rozo. His decision to become a nurse arises from the desire to be in the position of helping and rehabilitating people.