When you work at construction or industrial sites you always make sure you’re well-equipped with protective gear for your entire body, but there is an important area you sometimes tend to avoid paying attention to—your feet!
Jobs that involve dealing with oil, chemicals, and hulking tools or machines can put enormous pressure on your feet, as well as expose you to countless drop, trip, or even burn hazards.
Regular boots simply won’t be able to stand for the kind of toughness some of these jobs demand to protect your feet. Your feet’ contact with sharp and heavy objects, or even irritating chemicals, can leave you scathing with pain.
During our 38-hour search, we compiled the best metatarsal boots we found. As you can see in the list, we read more than 124 reviews, looked at 19 brands, and reviewed every dozen boots we found during our research.
- 1 How to Buy Most Comfortable Metatarsal Work Boot: Buyer’s Guide
- 2 Best Metatarsal Boots for Work | Most Comfortable Metatarsal Boots
- 2.1 1. Carhartt Men’s Waterproof Composite Toe CMF8720 Work Boot
- 2.2 2. Iron Age Men’s GroundBreaker IA5016 Work Boot
- 2.3 3. ARIAT Men’s Workhog WST Metguard H2O
- 2.4 4. Timberland PRO Men’s Rigmaster Waterproof Metatarsal Work Boot
- 2.5 5. Thorogood Men’s GEN-FLEX Lace-Toe Composite Work Boot
- 2.6 6. KEEN Utility Men’s Mt Vernon Steel Toe Metatarsal Work Boots
- 2.7 7. Timberland PRO Men’s 40000 Met-Guard Steel Toe Boot
- 2.8 8. Muck Boot Chore Classic Tall Steel Toe Men’s Rubber Work Boot
- 2.9 9. MICHELIN Men’s Sledge Steel Toe Metatarsal Guard Boots
- 2.10 10. Dr. Martens Men’s Ironbridge Met-Guard Heavy Industry Boots
- 2.11 FAQs about Metatarsal Work Boots
How to Buy Most Comfortable Metatarsal Work Boot: Buyer’s Guide
Figuring out which Metatarsal boots are the best for yourself? We have compiled a buyer’s guide for you to assist you in this decision-making process. Scroll away as we answer some of the most commonly asked questions, and choose the best Metatarsal work boots!
Why You Should Wear Metatarsal Work Boots?
If you work at warehouses, manufacturing facilities, or construction sites, then you need to protect your feet from getting injured by sharp or heavy tools falling on them. Metatarsal boots help protect the Metatarsal bones of your feet located at your forefoot. Here are some other advantages of wearing Metatarsal Boots at work:
- Premium Material: Most of these work boots come with premium and high-grade leather fabric that adds to the durability and strength of the product. Good material can also mean that you will not be dealing with abrasions on your skin after a long day at work.
- Protection for Substances: While you may think Metatarsal boots can only provide you with safeguards against heavy and piercing objects, they are also a great tool to avoid burning your skin with chemicals, fire, and more.
- Floor Resistance: Working on sites or plants can expose you to various types of hazards through external elements, one of these elements includes oils and chemicals that can drop on the work floor and make it slippery. A Metatarsal Boot comes with a rubber outer sole to create resistance at such times.
How to Choose the Best Metatarsal Work Boots?
When you’re on the market looking for the best Metatarsal work boots for yourself, consider checking some of these important functions. There are several factors you need to pay heed to in terms of the built of the boots to ensure great quality and experience overall:
This may seem like a no-brainer from the looks of it, but it is, in fact, a very big concern with Metatarsal Boots. You need to make sure these boots are going to fit you, and while this stands true, do not purchase a size that hugs your feet completely. There is some space required at your toes and the width for breathability and effectiveness. However, do not buy a couple sizes bigger, you do not want your shoe to come off with every step.
Inner and External Met-Guard
So, you will find these shoes on the market that can have either an internal met-guard while others have it on the outer surface of the boots as a padded flap. This feature in your boots depends on the kind of preference you have, however, you might not want to go for an external Met-Guard if you climb a lot of ladders in your work area as that can cause a tripping hazard. Overall, both of these options are great for the complete protection of your feet.
Outer Sole with Solid Rubber
On construction sites, there is a possibility of being exposed to slippery surfaces that can not only decrease your productivity but can also put you in hazardous situations where you are likely to hurt yourself. Outer soles made with rubber have skid-resistant tendencies that can provide a strong grip on you as your work.
Steel Safety Toes
The main purpose of Metatarsal Boots is to protect your feet, especially the Metatarsal area (upper portion of the foot). Toes are very much a part of that structure, and they need to be protected as well. Steel safety features can come to their aid, and they usually sit at the toe curves of the boots.
Water-Proof Internal Lining
If there is one thing that you will not appreciate is your boots effusing a horrible stank after a long day at work. The sweat that often accumulated inside the boots is to be convicted for the foul odor. A water-resistant inner living is going to come handy in repelling sweat and keeping your boots odor-free after a long day at work.
Cushioned Inner Sole
When you’re working on a construction site or any other industrial area, you are bound to stay on your feet throughout the day. This is why work boots are required to have a cushioned inner sole, as it can help alleviate pain and prevent any further damage to your feet due to pressure. So, this is a trait to look for in your Metatarsal boots.
Best Metatarsal Boots for Work | Most Comfortable Metatarsal Boots
Here we have listed some of our contenders for the 10 Best Metatarsal Work Boots of 2022. We have also mentioned a buyer’s guide right after this list to help you make the best choice for yourself.
So, c’mon! Walkthrough this with us!
1. Carhartt Men’s Waterproof Composite Toe CMF8720 Work Boot
Carhartt Men’s work boots have been relatively new to the market but have gained popularity quickly. Some of the stark features provided by this brand consist of using genuine leather material for the building, providing an outsole that is resistant to slippery floors, and ultimately offering the utmost safety and reliability.
We love how this waterproof work boot has been made tested against ASTM 2413-11 EH standard which qualifies it as shock-resistant. This feature can work great for men whose work includes being around open wires a lot, for instance, welding.
Although we recommend Metatarsal work boots that come with steel toes for proper safeguarding, it is fair to say that the composite toe in this piece works fine too! Overall, these boots have some great features and are among the best Metatarsal work boots available right now.
- Skid-resistant and water-resistant outsole
- Composite Safety Toe complies with ASTM 2413-11 EH
- Reflective material for added safety at night
- Made with 100% durable Leather
- Does not have the puncture-resistant capability
Note: We do not recommend this product to men who deal with sharp objects a lot as this product won’t be able to hold up to punctures.
2. Iron Age Men’s GroundBreaker IA5016 Work Boot
Iron Age has been making boots for over a decade, and you can bet they have a knack for it. This industry-dominating brand brings you some features that you may not notice in some of the costliest products as well. While safety has been the top priority for this company and they have made sure the product meets all the ASTM standards, comfort is another feature that was given a lot of importance too.
Some of the noteworthy aspects of the GroundBreaker IA5016 Work Boot are removable EVA cushioning and sponge heel wedge. While you are constantly on your toes, you want a pair of boots to not drain your energy further by prickling your heel with pressure, and that is exactly what this brand has made sure to avoid.
You also get a strong steel toe that can take any pointy or heavy object that comes its way, and successfully protects your foot toes. The material also keeps chemicals at bay by repelling them effectively.
- Complies with ASTM F2413 standards
- Comes with removable EVA cushioning for support
- Protection against drop, chemical, and electrical hazards
- Added protection with steel toe and sponge heel wedge
- Color options not available
Note: If you are looking for a pair of boots for landscaping or hiking then these are not for you. These shoes are heavy and are proposed to be for heavy industrial use.
3. ARIAT Men’s Workhog WST Metguard H2O
If you work at a manufacturing warehouse, then these long shaft men’s work boots by Ariat will soon find its place in your heart! The product complies with the ASTM standards for Metatarsal work boots, meaning it provides enough protection against electric shocks and repels water.
This product has some straightforward qualities that work well together. You can find the material has been made with leather, and the product has been carefully assembled in the US. Therefore, there is already a sense of reliability that sustains itself after you use this sturdy product, and you quickly realize it has been made for tough use.
The brand was smart enough to use a composite toe guard in the product as a steel one could’ve been brought inflexibility to the wearer. This is due to the already long-shaft that stands to give you extra protection.
- Imported product
- Complies to ASTM F2413-11 Mt 75 for Electric Hazards
- Made with genuine 100% leather material
- Lightweight and easy to manage
- Expensive as compared to other products on the list
Note: These boots are certainly heavy on the pocket, but you do get premium qualities and features for premium cost. If the budget is not a huge consideration, it is worth it to give this product a try.
4. Timberland PRO Men’s Rigmaster Waterproof Metatarsal Work Boot
Similar to many other popular Metatarsal Guard boots, the Timberland PRO Men’s Rigmaster comes with an inner Metatarsal shield as opposed to a flap on the external level. Some men do believe this can decrease their chances of tripping during climbing stairs. However, it is completely a personal preference as to what works best for you, according to us this is one of the best work boots.
You get the Timberland trust that the brand has been able to carry forward for years. There are many unique and patented designs used in this piece that allows it to appropriately navigate the way to a safe product for industrial use. Having said that, this also makes the product heavy and not everyone will be able to manage it.
There are many features combined in one piece, including the popular welt construction, fire-safe stitching, and odor control lining. These three features sum up the reasons why so many men tend to be returning buyers and the brand does not give them a reason to be disappointed.
- Added strength with Goodyear™ welt construction
- Kevlar™ self-extinguishing thread stitching for durability
- Comes with an antimicrobial Cambrelle™ Lining to control odor
- Abrasion, oil, heat, and skid-resistant
- Heavy built, affect speed during work
5. Thorogood Men’s GEN-FLEX Lace-Toe Composite Work Boot
Polyurethane, which has been proven to behave much better than rubber in some cases, is the main attraction of this product. However, this product has a variety of materials at work that balance out the qualities of the same. You get a 100% leather-made built that is going to last for a long time and a skid-resistant rubber outsole that can help you avoid injuries for trips and slips.
These work boots are known to have used the VGS 300 technology to help them steer clear of electric hazards. But very little is known as to whether they comply with the respective ASTM testing standards for the same.
The brand’s patent rubber outsole plays a huge role in making sure to maintain your grip on slippery floors, and it has been lauded by many of its customers for the same. The only thing that may be pulling this brand behind could be their previous performance with this particular product. However, there is a long way to go after that and it’s a visible change.
- Made with 100% Leather material
- Removable polyurethane footbed
- Skid-resistant GEN-Flex2 outer rubber sole
- VGS 300 technology to absorb shock
- Not ideal for heavy load work
- Previous quality inconsistencies reported
6. KEEN Utility Men’s Mt Vernon Steel Toe Metatarsal Work Boots
Avoid damaging your feet and landing in a hospital with these boots with external Met-Guard. This guard is wide enough to cover all the Metatarsal bones and save you from any unanticipated drop of heavy or sharp 0bjetcs on your foot. This product may be ideal for your use if your work leans more fixing and assembling.
You can rest assured about the safety of the product as it has been tested with the ASTM standards to make certain you do not suffer any harm. The one thing that stands out about this piece is the eco-friendly approach that the brand has taken up. During the process of making this and other products, Keen Utility has made sure minimum waste was created.
This product is not recommended with heavy-duty construction work, and this opinion has been shared by many customers who said it didn’t work out for them due to this reason alone.
- Wide external Metatarsal guard for foot safety
- Minimal-waste design, assembled in the US
- Breathable fabric that helps manage the temperature
- ASTM standard tested composite toe design
- Not made for heavy-duty construction or industrial work
- Available only in one type of color scheme
7. Timberland PRO Men’s 40000 Met-Guard Steel Toe Boot
Another cheap alternative to usually heavily-priced Metatarsal work boots is this Timberland PRO Men’s 40000 version. This product is relatively new on the market but follows the same route as other Timberland boots in making sure the customers are satisfied.
This trust and promise for complete satisfaction can be backed with the ASTM testing standards that the brand adheres to. The brand makes sure the product is safe from all the anticipated hazards that rough and tough work can bring.
The product also comes with a long shaft that maintains a safety blanket below your knee. Not only that, there is an added escalation of more than an inch at the arch for better support and stability. However, the product is unable to stand against heavy use and has been known to disintegrate against a lot of pressure.
- Long shaft guarantees protection and comfort
- More than one-inch heel for support
- Synthetic sole retains form and provides durability
- Meets ASTM F2412-11, ASTM F2892-11, and ASTM F2413-11 standards
- Not available in for all foot sizes
- Extreme conditions can degrade shoe minorly
- Glued steel toe tends to come off with the movement of material
8. Muck Boot Chore Classic Tall Steel Toe Men’s Rubber Work Boot
Water-proofing can be a huge priority for some men not only to make sure the water or chemicals do not seep-in but also for a sweat-free workday. Muck Boot shines through with its breathable and perfectly ventilated footwear that does not let the rank of the day ruin your nights.
Furthering the great water-resistant qualities of this product, you or your wife don’t have to spend hours brushing through the daily dirt and shabbiness that has latched itself onto it. Cleaning these boots is super easy and they do not leave any water residue after the cleaning. This helps you avoid abrasions or boils due to moisture.
All said and done, there are certainly some downsides to this product as well. If you work within a facility that demands you to walk on wet areas, then you shouldn’t expect this product to have powerful skid-resistant capabilities. Another problem is that the leather material used in this piece can begin to ripen in fiery hot summer days.
- Made with shock-proof and flexible neoprene fabric
- Sweat-proof built with breathable air mesh lining
- Provides extreme impact protection on the forefoot
- Easy to clean and water-resistant
- Unable to provide adequate skid-resistant grip
- Turns ripe in the summer or warmer times
9. MICHELIN Men’s Sledge Steel Toe Metatarsal Guard Boots
MICHELIN brings you a solution very specific to that of losing stability due to slippery floors and walking on moist cement. If you are into construction, this pair of boots can be a great help in terms of not only protecting your feet and toes but also providing never-felt friction and grip while working. This can increase your productivity to several bounds.
The product has been built with compliance to the required ASTM standards that confirm its durability, safety, and high-grade material quality. They are very simple and straightforward and are not meant to lure you with their attractiveness. They are strong, durable, and do their job.
There is a concern however that has been reported by some of the buyers, and it has to do with the sizing chart provided by the brand. According to the customers, boots ordered adhering to the sizing mentioned on the chart tend to run smaller and it causes a lot of unnecessary hassle to them.
- Astm F2413-05 complaint Metatarsal Guard
- Made with high-quality rubber outsoles
- Leather-made work boots for lasting strength
- Comparatively lighter built than other boots with Met-Guard.
- Appropriate for welding jobs, not construction sites
- Larger width sizes not offered currently
10. Dr. Martens Men’s Ironbridge Met-Guard Heavy Industry Boots
This is the usual product that provides good resistance to slips and skids and comes with a strong Met-Guard to protect you from accidents at work. These are the quintessential industry boots that every man who does this kind of sweating labor wants.
You get great protection and safeguard against chemicals, petrol, and other kinds of oils that cause pain and irritation to your skin if you come into contact. The external Met-Guard also helps you dodge the possibility of an injury effectively. This product may be more suitable for chemical plants rather than construction sites.
Although Dr. Martens’ product promises considerably good durability and sturdiness, it still won’t be able to stand tall against sharp options or shards of glass. You may want to focus more on puncture-proof features if you are employed in manufacturing units.
- Resists oil, petrol, and chemicals with airy PVC sole
- Durability offered by the welted-construction footbed
- Strong steel toe and slip-resistant outsole
- Create with 100% tumbled leather uppers
- Does not provide adequate safety against electric currents
- The outsole is not puncture-proof
Read more: Best Hiking Boots for Plantar Fasciitis
FAQs about Metatarsal Work Boots
How do Metatarsal boots work?
Metatarsal boots are instrumental in providing you both protection and comfort if you work in industrial sites or manufacturing plants. These boots generally come with an internal or external Met-Guard along with a steel or composite toe for added safety and are generally made with durable and heavy-duty leather material.
What is the difference between steel toe boots and Metatarsal?
You will find many Metatarsal boot options that will come with a steel toe and vice versa. A steel toe helps protect your foot toes from getting injured and breaking due to compression or falling of heavy objects at work. While a Metatarsal guard helps shield the Metatarsal area at your forefoot. Most of the time, these qualities overlap in work boots.
How much do Metatarsal work boots cost?
Metatarsal work boots can cost anywhere between 70 to 250 USD. This difference within the price range is influenced by the size, brand, material, and overall reputation of the product on the market. You can easily find an average-sized pair of these boots in around 100 to 150 USD.
Which are the best Metatarsal work boots?
Some of the best Metatarsal work boots offer you comfort, security, and stability. We have found that Carhartt Men’s Waterproof Composite Toe Work Boot fits this criterion and offers a very simple yet practical design. Another convincing pair is the verdict of its online and offline customer base and that is—ARIAT Men’s Workhog WST Metguard H2O. This is one of the few pieces that does not come with a steel toe but provides as much protection against work hazards.
William has hands-on experiences with construction sites, and the hazards employees face while working. He has been a dedicated worker since 1995 and is currently looked up to by many of his subordinates for the work he has done throughout his tenure. He has passed several certifications regarding safety at the workplace, including OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration, Silica in Construction Certificate, and the National Association of Safety Professionals Certification.
He has ample experience in woodwork and welding and understands the importance of a tough work boot in dangerous occupational environments. His achievements, experience, and knowledge allow him to be an expert in the field of work boots. He selects and tries all the products that he reviews and presents to his readers. As per him, the safety of the boot is beyond the beauty of it. He carefully scrutinizes each aspect of work boots, including flex, laces, length, breathability, strength, and more.